Thursday, March 8, 2012

Decompression sickness

I'm not sure that the title of this blog post is entirely relevant to anything, but it popped in my head when I saw the cursor blinking in that field and it just popped into my head. Plus it sounds heavy and arty in a way that pleases me and makes me giggle at how fun and silly arty things are.

Today's post is entirely thanks to my partner looking at me over breakfast this morning and saying, "I think you need to write a new blog post, I miss reading them." So you'll have her to thank if my rantings go too far off the rails.

First off, a little status update on my novel. For the moment things have hit a complete standstill. I had to stop because I got to a point where there was a plot hole big enough for a truck to drive through. For the last week or so I've been trying to think about what comes next and how to mend the small (huge) problem I had created for myself. One approach that I've taken is going back to an outline for the remaining chapters of the book. From the start I had a very loose outline and it's worked fairly well, I had done some heavy character sketching ahead of time, so I knew how they would react in different situations. Off of that, I had outlined some milestones to hit along the way. It worked well for quite a while, after all, I nearly got to the halfway point without a problem. Now I'm retooling and that's not a bad thing.

Something else that has been a challenge for my continued writing is a sort of doldrum. Nothing in particular, maybe just being a little bored and uninspired as every day blends together and the consistency of my job numbs my creative mind. As I've said time and again, I'm happy to have a job, just wish that there could be a little less of it and a little more of the writing.

Hopefully I'll be able to recharge a little bit on a trip I'm going on soon. Get some new ideas, find a new font of inspiration that will fill my sails and power me through the rest of the book. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment